Monday, April 29, 2013

Running with the herd

The Vancouver Sun Run was last weekend, one week after the bombings in Boston that have filled the news. I ran as team captain for my work team. As it turns out, I'm the fastest employee over 10 km, but not the fastest team member. Not even close. I'm okay with that. There were over 48,000 people participating, providing me a few observations.

Everyone has to pee before running. I got off the train, walked towards the start area, and stood in a line a city block long to get to the pink plastic porta-loos. Standing there trying to not do the urgency dance, I ended up missing the gear check, meaning I had to wear my backpack with two water bottles and extra clothes for the whole race. Not a big deal, though it was actually my wife's backpack, meaning the "waist" strap sits just below my nipples. I don't think it slowed me down, but it did bounce around uncomfortably. Next year I'll plan for more efficient peeing.

Some people really hate waiting in line. When you register for an event of this size, they ask how long you expect to take on the course. You are then issued a coloured bib with a number. The colour of the bib matches arches of balloons over the road at the start area, and you are to go to your appropriate area to wait. This way, people walking with strollers shouldn't get trampled by track stars gunning for a new personal best. I was surprised then, being in the second fastest group, to pass so many baby carriages, seniors with walking sticks, and obese walkers. One white-haired gentleman had on his glaring white Tilly hat, pleated shorts complete with black pleather fanny pack, white socks pulled over his calves, black sandals, and a hiking pole strapped to each wrist. I passed him around the 3 km mark, meaning he had been way at the front of our group. These people had registered correctly, wearing their coloured bibs identifying them as slower, but lined up with the fastest group they could.

The big local headline last week was that 2 middle-aged folks cheated. They cut off the course to avoid the bridge sections of the course, cutting down the distance they had to run and eliminating the only hills of the race. I don't understand the motivation to cheat on a fun run. Even if that were your thing, there are cameras everywhere, so chances of you being photographed ducking a rope are extremely high. A little more sophistication is needed to manage it these days, and even more next year thanks to those boobs.

Two years ago, Vancouver hosted a riot loosely based on the outcome of a hockey game between the locals and the Boston team. For a while, it was extremely unpopular to own, let alone display, anything that might identify with the city of Boston. Vancouverites, it would seem, are not gracious losers. There were rumours and implications that the rioters weren't from here, that they came from out of town, and even out of country. However true that may be, the courts continue successfully prosecuting locals for the chaos. Last Sunday, Vancouverites showed that while they may lose rather badly, they can be vocally sympathetic. There were blue and yellow ribbons, banner, flags, and signs posted along the route, carried by runners, and waved by spectators. Red Sox and Bruins jerseys were everywhere. I'm not sure anyone in Boston especially cares that someone ran "for Boston," but the sentiment was good and it added a bit more camaraderie to an already friendly event (cheating notwithstanding).

All in all, it was a fun event. In the end, I was happy to ride the train away from the big city back to the far edge of suburbia, where the farms and mountains meet and we can all stretch our arms without hitting someone. My poor dog was frantically happy to see me, having thought I completely abandoned her that morning by leaving in my running clothes without her. I'll be back next year. I've got at least one more run lined up for spring and I'm contemplating longer distances later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment